Monday, May 20, 2019

Tripan in Uppsala

Email written: 5/20/19

Hejsan!!
So, we got our transfer calls yesterday and I found out that I won't just be getting one new companion, but two new companions. One missionary just wasn't enough to kill me so they had to call reinforcements haha. My companions are going to be Äldste Mathias and Äldste Johnston and I am really excited to be able to work with them. I know for sure that they are going to help me work all the way to the end. It's hard to believe that I've made it this far already. I'm in my final transfer. 

One thing that I am really grateful for is that I have worked hard and done my best so far, and so I don't have this feeling of oh no, I need to compensate for all the things that I haven't done!! It's more like I am very happy with the experiences that I have had. While I have a huge desire to talk to and teach every single person in Uppsala, I have to realize that it's kind of hard to talk to around 150,000 people in such a short time, and so I need to focus on helping those around me, and lifting where I stand. Our Heavenly Father will take care of the rest. 

One of the best highlights of the week was when we were out tracting in this really nice area called Kåbo and we didn't have a ton of time, but then after only about the 3rd door, we got let in. The man that let us in was this 75+ year old man and he had told us that he always had seen the church (including the original church building we had in Kåbo) and he always had wanted to know more about the church and he was so excited to have us in his house. I didn't understand a lot of what he said, just because old people tend to mumble and talk very unclear and so it can be hard sometimes, but I felt such a strong love for this man as we testified to him that while he is in his older age, he still has the chance to learn more about Christ and repent and so we look forward to continue teaching our good friend! It really felt like we were over at our grandpa's house when we were with him and so after we left I turned to äldste Norin and I said something along the lines of we just met my Swedish grandfather.

As I have been in the service of the Lord full time, I have been able to learn more and more about what it means to minister to others, where we serve in higher and holier ways. This past week, we were able to help a member who needed to uproot some old bushes and prepare her garden to plant new flowers. We went to help on thursday, but because she had pushed the time back so much later, we didn't have much time and only had time to take out 3 bushes, but then on Saturday, we were able to go back and help out since we couldn't just leave the job half finished like that. But it was great to just be able to give service in that way, something so small that means so much to someone else.

We also were able to go and support a local artist at his art show and as we were there, other people were asking us why we were there, if we liked art and if we were artists ourselves and whatnot, but we simply just told everyone that we had met this man and that we wanted to show our support. A few weeks prior, äldste butler and I had met this artist, Ulf, as he was in the middle of cutting up an old rainbow piano with a pocket knife. It was wild! And so, as we began to talk to him, we shared briefly about our beliefs and he invited us to come see his art show. So, we thought we could definitely come by and show him the support and it felt so good to just be there and appreciate the good someone else has done! That's what ministering is all about. It's about supporting. I don't think it is a coincidence that the Swedish translation for ministering in the church is stödverksamhet (stöd meaning support)

Well, that's about it from me! Ni får ha det så bra!

Pictures:
1) Some other art viewers
2) met a man from Venezuela that apparently is a very famous salsa singer (Negro mon)
3) gamla uppsala

1) Some other art viewers

2) met a man from Venezuela that apparently is a very famous salsa singer (Negro mon)

3) gamla uppsala

No comments:

Post a Comment